Day 13: Abel Tasmen Part 3 of 4 (20ish miles)

To the boys’ delight, we had another tide crossing in the morning. We didn’t have to wake up as early so it was super nice being able to sleep in in the warm hut. We took it a bit slower today since everyone was super sore and blistered up. The tide crossing took longer and was a little more difficult, but we got through it!

We stopped at Mutton Cove and took 30 minutes to rest up and eat lunch.

Lunch and stretch break!

After lunch we continued the track, which for a moment, wasn’t really a path. We had to climb over some rocks to get to the next cove. That actually turned out to be a lot of fun since a couple feet from us were seals playing by the shore. When we got to Totaranui, we ran into a maintenance ranger guy who told us that part of the track that we were going to do tomorrow would be closed. They were going to be showering the area with possum poison so that we wouldn’t be able to do Gibbs Hill. Possums are a problem here and I believe they damage the wildlife. Gibbs Hill isn’t actually a part of the Abel Tasmen so at least we could still finish the track today. However, that would mean we’d walk a total of 20 miles for the day. But how lame it would be to walk all the way and not finish the track. Jessi and I were determined to make it to the end.

Before arriving to our camp at Wharawharangi, we stopped by Separation Point which is the Northern most part of the South Island. This..was gorgeous…

We got to our campsite, took a short break, and continued the extra 7 mile roundtrip to finish and return back to the camp. By this point we were all shuffling our feet, but boy was it worth it. We hiked the last part during the sunset and the views were spectacular. I still can’t believe we finished the entire track in two and a half days!

This night was really cold and building the fire was definitely a major struggle. Luckily, there was an international group of high schoolers that were learning how to camp so they were able to build a major bonfire that help keep all of us warm. To our defense, they had materials that we didn’t have with us that made their fire larger. It was a friendly competition.

The campsite had a ton of annoying fearless birds called Wekas. They sorta of looked like smaller, less hairy turkeys. They walked around the campsite and would peck at anything they thought was food. Thankfully, they didn’t peck through our tent. By the way, four people in a two person tent was pretty rough; kept us warm, but hard to breathe at times.

It felt like such an accomplishment finishing the track in two and a half days then the three to five days recommended. Doing the Abel Tasmen was such an amazing way to end our perfect, perfect fifteen day trip.

Check out day 14 to read about our boat ride back and other shenanigans!





Stay Curious. Discover. Create. 


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s